Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Druid Staff: Fixing Mother Nature's Blunder Part TWO

Since Mother Nature couldn't stop at ruining my boots of my costume, the staff took a beating as well.  Everything on the staff, which I have actually been working on here and there over the last TEN years (taking it apart, remaking it, etc), had to be redone.  The bags were additions I added for this, and the tail is the first I'd purchased two years ago when I went with my mom on a visit during a holiday while I was in the Army.  The bags are hand sewn (which as I've already said, isn't possible for me without covering my hands in little cuts from push pins!) and made of natural rabbit pelts, using the uneven edges to make a wild, primitive look.  The one thing that's not primitive on them? The intense magnets I used to keep them closed.  They are laced with a thick leather cord and tightly attached to the mid section of the staff itself.  From there, the feathers (more to be added later, actually) are added, and finally enough slack is kept in the cord to be able to slip the tail's leather ring through and snap it on.  About one foot below the bags is a ring of either bear fur (I forget) I had left in the scraps (I still have a LOT, actually).  Finally, a tuft from a raccoon tail is added in a bare spot around the mid section between the tail and one of the two bags by sewing through the pelt section and tying it onto the cord itself.  There is a lot more I want to add to the staff, but this is a start.  The bags are fun to make, and rabbit pelts are very easy to sew through, though sometimes too easy, causing them to rip if you're not careful!  Maybe later, after a lot of other things are completed, I'll have a chance to really get into adding all the crazy stuff I want to to the staff.  I have tons of feathers and a couple bear claws my uncle gave me that I'd like to add to it as well, so, as it will always be, it's a work in progress.  Something like this ends up evolving as I change.  Installment two in the Mother Nature Remake!

No comments:

Post a Comment